Shooter Killed After Exchanging Gunfire With Federal Officers in Dallas


An active shooter in downtown Dallas, Texas was killed after an exchange of gunfire with federal officers outside a courthouse, Monday morning.

"There has been an exchange of gunfire between a suspect and federal officers," the Dallas Police Department posted on Twitter. "The suspect was shot and transported to an area hospital. No officers or citizens injured."

The shooter, who appeared to be wearing tactical gear and armed with an assault-type rifle, opened fire outside the federal courthouse, but no one else, besides the shooter was injured in the incident, Dallas police said. Cellphone footage of the incident appeared to show the gunman dressed in black take up a position outside the courthouse, while peeking around a corner and pointing a rifle. The suspect was spotted running through a parking lot where the gunbattle occurred, police said.

The alleged gunman was identified as 22-year-old Brian Isaack Clyde, by Matthew DeSarno, the special agent in charge at Federal Bureau of Investigation at the Dallas/Fort Worth office. Clyde was taken to Baylor University Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead. No motive for the shooting has been revealed by authorities.

"At this time, we have no information indicating that there are other shooters, other threats to the community," DeSarno said.

Police investigating the suspect's vehicle requested the bomb squad to come out and conduct a controlled explosion of the man's vehicle. Authorities did not indicate what they found that led them to do so. Aerial footage from the scene showed the bomb squad's robot examining a gray vehicle.

The incident was first reported at around 8:50 a.m. at 1100 Commerce Street in downtown Dallas. The alleged shooter exchanged gunfire with police and also took shots at the Earle Cabell Federal Building, according to the Dallas Morning News.

The federal courthouse and nearby El Centro College were both placed on lockdown.

A photographer for the paper, Tom Fox, said the suspect approached the door of the federal building and shot it. The alleged shooter was wearing body armor and using a long rifle. Witnesses told NBC 5 that they heard between 15 and 20 shots fired during the incident.

This is a breaking news update. More details will be added as they become available.



Content Goes Here